A Quick Routine to Engage the Parasympathetic State
The intense heat of summer keeps us close to the AC, which means we’re likely indoors and sitting most of our day. Need a quick fix of movement, deep breaths, and sunshine? Wake early and grab your bike for a short but intense ride followed by root chakra healing and balancing Yoga.
Complete 30 sec. of jumping jacks, then boxer shuffle, and then high knee raises until you are breathing out of your mouth and no longer comfortably out of your nose. You should feel a slight perspiration on the forehead or under arm.
Check the hour-by-hour forecast to plan a route that will have you back home before the extreme temps begin. Distance is your choice; ride as long and intensely as the temps will safely allow. Be sure to identify a shaded, flat spot of Earth to stop along the way.
To strengthen your connection to the power of the Earth, make physical contact by removing your shoes and socks. Take Mountain Pose, plant your feet on the Earth and breathe deeply for 5 breaths. Select an affirmation below to repeat 5 times:
- I trust in the power of life
- I feel at home in my body
- I am sustained and nourished by nature
- Or, be silent and listen for 5 breaths
Take a few moments here to practice some balancing movements.
- Take Mountain Pose for5 breaths
- Go into Tree Pose for 5 breaths on each side
- Move from Prayer Pose to Warrior III 10 times on each side
- Come back to Mountain Pose for your final 5 breaths
To ensure we reap the most benefits from exercise we must recover properly. Proper recovery includes hydrating and rest but starts with a stretching routine to compliment the work you just performed. Use the following stretches to begin your recovery:
- Forward fold x30 sec.
- Quad Stretch x30 sec. each side
- Runner’s Stretch x30 sec. each side